Dental Cleanings And Exams in Ponchatoula, Louisiana
Part of the routine in maintaining your teeth clean and healthy is by regularly having a dental exam. Throughout the dental exam, the dentist will carry out certain methods to clean your teeth, check for any teeth damage and detect for any defect in the teeth and inside the mouth. Preventive tooth care is the best method of taking care of your teeth as well as your gums and consulting your dentist on a regular basis is definitely part of this care.
During your fist visit to the dentist, he will do a complete dental exam. While in regular check-up examinations, both your dentist and hygienist will perform the following dental procedures:
• Assessment of diagnostic radiographs or xrays – This method is necessary for finding decay, tumors, cysts, and other abnormalities in the body. X-ray also serves as a way to figure out tooth and root positions.
• Oral cancer test – Nearly all dentists suggest for an oral exam during your regular dental check up to screen for any occurrence of oral cancer. The dentist inspects the inner part of your mouth to see if there are any red or white mouth sores.
• Periodontal or Gum Disease Evaluation – According to dental experts, gum diseases can be associated with other health conditions such as diabetes, heart and lung illnesses. For this reason, it is important to treat the soreness which causes periodontal or gum disease as early as possible to be sure that your whole body is in good condition.
• Tooth Decay Examination – A dentist will be able to detect any tooth decay during the first phase by actually examining your mouth during a dental check-up. The entire surface of your tooth will be inspected for decay using highly specialized dental instruments.
• Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc. The integrity of your old fillings and other teeth restorations will be examined. A lot of restorations can last up to 25 years or more. However for most of these restorations, they only last for a couple of years. Restorations in the tooth will be closely examined to see if it is still intact or a replacement should be done.
Dental prophylaxis or simple professional dental cleanings are typically done by the dentist. This dental cleaning schedule consists of a dental exam and other procedures such as:
• Calculus or tartar removal – Tartar, also known as calculus, is a hard deposit that can trap dirt on the teeth causing yellowish discoloration. It forms a tough bond that can only be taken away by a dentist.
• Plaque removal – Plaque is sultry, colorless sediment of bacteria that is continuously forming on the surface of the tooth. Saliva, food and other fluids accumulate together thus developing bacteria in the oral area which causes gum inflammation.
• Teeth polishing – Get rid of the blemish or plaque that was not successfully eliminated by simply brushing your teeth.