Your TMJ (temporomandibular joints) connect your jaw to your skull. So you use them often, for activities that involve opening and closing your mouth. If that simple action has become painful, you may have a TMJ disorder (TMD). If your TMJ become inflamed or irritated, it can cause pain that makes it difficult to eat or sleep. Fortunately, our TMJ treatment in Metairie will:
- Allow you to use your jaw without pain
- Keep discomfort from spreading to your neck, shoulders, and elsewhere
- Provide relief from related symptoms like chronic migraines and earaches
- Stop your teeth grinding habit, which can contribute to TMJ pain
If you suspect you could have a TMD, call 504-291-0042.
You May Need Several Kinds of Treatment for TMJ Pain
Many dentists can provide you with a nightguard, a custom-made mouthguard that prevents you from grinding your teeth (bruxism) while you sleep. Nightguards can relieve TMJ pain, which is why we offer them. However, you may need additional treatment to end your TMD symptoms.
Dr. Gregg May also offers:
- Instructions on Relaxation Exercises – Stress is often present with TMJ disorders, so exercises that relieve tension in your jaw can help ease pain.
- Muscle Relaxants – Muscle relaxants can be helpful for more severe cases of TMJ disorder.
- Disclusion Time Reduction (DTR) – We can use tools that reveal how your teeth fit together while biting and chewing, showing the forces and balance used. We can make any needed adjustments by removing small amounts of enamel from teeth and/or adding composite or other materials. The result will be a more balanced bite.
Don’t Ignore the Signs of TMJ Disorder
A painful or tender jaw is not the only symptom of a TMD. Call us right away if you’re experiencing any of these other symptoms:
- Trouble chewing
- Frequent, unexplained headaches
- Facial swelling
For TMJ treatment in Metairie, LA, call 504-291-0042.